writer, editor, content strategist
Founder/Editorial Director, Bus 64 LLC, Chicago – 2015-present
• Conceptualize, assign, write and edit content in various formats, including features, profiles briefs, slideshows, lists, catalog descriptions, association journals, trade show programs, marketing sales points and more.
• Clients: Tribune Content Agency (for the Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, Orlando Sentinel, Baltimore Sun and Miami Herald, among others), the American Health Information Management Association, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, RedEye, PR Newswire, Tribune Brand Publishing, Yuppie Puppy, U.S. News and World Report, Bank Administration Institute, Paylocity, among others.
Senior Editor, Tribune Brand Publishing, Chicago – 2014-15
• Conceptualized, assigned, edited and wrote content for Tribune Company’s Branded Content initiative, providing stories, briefs, slideshows, lists and round-ups for Tribune newspapers, including Chicago Tribune, Orlando Sentinel, Los Angeles Times and others.
• Clients: Allstate, Macy’s, McDonald’s, Northern Indiana Tourism Bureau, Embassy Hair Clinic, Direct Energy, ForSaleByOwner.com, Baer’s Furniture Stores and others.
Editorial Director, Tribune Content Agency Custom Content, Chicago – 2001-13
• Planned and implemented coverage of the job market each week for the CareerBuilder page — the front or back page of the Sunday job section for all Tribune and McClatchy newspapers, including the Chicago Tribune, the Los Angeles Times, the Miami Herald, the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Baltimore Sun, the San Jose Mercury News and more than 30 others, reaching more than 25 million readers each week.
• Planned, assigned and edited 26 special sections each year on home and garden, retirement, health care, travel, real estate and more.
• Conceptualized and directed the industry’s first website designed to provide a la carte stories and images to websites and newspapers special sections.
• Managed editorial, design and freelance staff and budgets; helped manage sales and marketing staff; served as point of contact for managers at Tribune and McClatchy newspapers.
Editor/Product Manager, Tribune Media Services, Campus, Chicago – 1998-2001
• Responsible for budget, marketing plan, story assignment, editing and daily production for nation’s largest news and photo service for college newspapers.
• Enacted business plan, reduced expenses; increased educational value of service.
• Expanded Campus Correspondent program, which involved more than 40 journalism students from colleges across the country; coordinated student-submitted stories and led efforts to work together on various projects.
• Supervised editorial staff; co-managed sales staff.
Producer, Tribune Media Services, Interactive, Chicago – 1995-98
• Part of the team that helped launch ChicagoTribune.com in March 1996.
• Helped create prototype and live page for breaking news section of site
• Covered a.m. shift monitoring national and international news.
• Selected, developed, edited, enhanced and updated breaking news stories for shared use among Tribune publishing units, including ChicagoTribune.com, OrlandoSentinel.com, LATimes.com, BaltimoreSun.com and others.
Reporter, Tribune Media Services, College Press – 1994-1995
• Covered general news assignments for college wire service, cultivating sources for stories on government, education and athletics.
• Helped the White House press office coordinate College Media Day, an opportunity for college journalists to visit the White House and meet with the Clinton administration and cabinet.
• Wrote extensive coverage of the AmeriCorps program during its launch and initial year, which included interviews with President Bill Clinton, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Henry Cisneros and Secretary of Labor Robert Reich.
Editor, Park Ridge Times Herald, Chicago Suburban Times – 1991-1994
• Responsible for editorial content of the Park Ridge Times Herald, including news stories, features, photo captions, headlines and editorials.
• Worked on several series, including pieces on gun sales in the suburbs, discrimination in schools and O'Hare anti-expansion efforts.
• Composition instructor, Roosevelt University, 2009-present
• Freelance writer, 1992-present
• Writing tutor, 2011-present
• College essay consultant, 2013-present
• Fiction published in the Chicago Reader
• Created website for Extensions Dance Company at extensionsdance.com.
DePaul University, Chicago, Ill. – Master of Arts - Writing, 2009
Illinois State University, Normal, Ill. – Bachelor of Science – English/Writing, 1991